a Taxi


After getting off the city bus, Oswald is said to have walked to the corner of Lamar and Jackson,

where he got into a cab, driven by Bill Whaley. Upon doing this, Whaley then took him out to the 700 block of North Beckley, in Oak Cliff, Texas, which was some three blocks south of his rooming house.

So, getting off the city bus in between Poydras and Lamar, Oswald walked up to Lamar, then turned left, walking south until he reached the intersection of Lamar and Jackson (which was in front of the Greyhound Bus Station) 1.

The time it would have taken Oswald to do this was three minutes, thirty-three seconds, and that’s a conservative figure.

I say conservative because again, I timed it at a normal, but steady pace, without having to wait at any crosswalks.  Yet according to Whaley, when Oswald walked up to him, he was so nonchalant (aka slow), that he thought he was a wino, who had been off his bottle a couple of days 3.  That said, and despite of, I’ll still say that Oswald arrived at the cab in three minutes, thirty-three seconds. Or in other words, if he was the lone assassin of President John F. Kennedy, he could not have reached it any sooner than 12:50 pm, and 20 seconds.

At the cab: When Oswald reached it, Whaley opened up the back door, but then Oswald shut it, asking instead to ride up front 4.

Once inside, a woman walked up, stuck her head in through Oswald’s side of the car, and asked if she could have his cab.  In response, Oswald opened up his door to get out.  In fact, he told her she could have it 5 6.  Then Whaley told her another one would be by shortly, and she said okay.  It’s at this point that he then asked Oswald where he wanted to go, and recorded the address of 500 North Beckley into his log 7 8.

Now even after getting this address, Whaley did not just take off.  Instead, he waited for the right moment, so as to have every light go his way 9 10.

So, how much time was wasted before the cab left the bus station: At least a minute.  Therefore, at 12:51 pm, and 20 seconds, Oswald, the shooter, finally leaves downtown Dallas.  It is here where a lot of controversy came into play, all courtesy of Mr. Whaley himself.

As noted, Mr. Whaley wrote in his log that he

took Oswald out to the 500 block of North Beckley. He would then tell the Dallas Police Department the same thing 11: Dido for his first day of Warren Commission testimony 12.  Four weeks later, however, he was then all of sudden telling the Commission a different story.  He told them that instead of dropping Oswald off at the 500 of North Beckley, he dropped him off at the 700 block instead 13.  Which since neither address represented where he actually lived, this change netted the Commission two minutes, six seconds, in walking time, giving Oswald just that much more time to get to the Tippit shooting!

When asked, Whaley admitted that he did not tell anyone about dropping him off at the 700 block until that day 14.

__During his second visit with the Warren Commission, Whaley says that while in route to the 500 block of North Beckley, Oswald had him pull over to just 20 feet north of the intersection of Neely and North Beckley (the 700 block of North Beckley) 15.  It is here, Whaley says, that Oswald then got out.  However, other than seeing him cross the street, he did not take stock of where he went 16.

Another glorious piece of controversy, concerning this cab ride, is how long it lasted.

According to Whaley, on March 12, 1964, it took 9 minutes, and that’s with all the lights going his way 17.  Four weeks later, though, he was then saying it took only 5 ½ 18.  Thus in four weeks he managed to turn a 9 minute trip, into 5 ½.

As you can guess, conspiracists have made much of this, including me, until I realized that Lamar and Jackson were not that far from North Beckley. As such, when I timed it myself, going from Lamar and Jackson, to the 700 block of North Beckley, and catching but only one light (just like Whaley), I found out that the trip did indeed take just 5 ½ minutes.

Of course, some have claimed that the reason Whaley’s 9 minute trip turned into 5 ½, is because he changed the route he originally took.  What

they use as proof of this is his March 12 description of it, in comparison to his April 8 description of it. Only, what they don’t realize is that both routes were the same, and as such, I think Whaley just made a mistake when he described it on March 12.

On March 12, Whaley said that when he left the Greyhound Bus Station, with Oswald in tow, he turned left onto Jackson, off Lamar.  Then, one block later, he made another left turn, this time onto Austin.  At Wood, he made yet another left turn, this time staying on Wood until he reached Houston.  At Houston, he turned left again, staying on Houston through the Houston Viaduct, and on through Zangs and North Beckley 19 20.

The problem with this description, which he corrected on April 8 21, is that it’s not only impossible in the year 2016, it was impossible on November 22, 1963, as well.

First off, up to the Greyhound Bus Station, Jackson was a one-way street that flowed west, which meant that if Whaley was sitting at the northwest corner of Lamar and Jackson, he had to make a right-hand turn, not a left.

Second, where he was correct about making a left turn onto Austin, he then had to make a right turn onto Wood.  He had to make a right turn because Houston was west of Austin, not east.

Finally, in both descriptions, he said he took Houston to the Houston Viaduct, and then the Houston Viaduct to Zangs, and onto North Beckley.

Yet another bit of controversy, concerning Mr. Whaley, is his description of Oswald’s clothing.

Although Oswald was supposed to be jacketless at this point (despite the claims of McWatters, Jones and Baker), Whaley says he was not only wearing a blue jacket, he was wearing a gray one as well (underneath it) 23.  How do the lone nut

supporters handle this?  They just say he was mistaken.

The problem that the blue jacket represents is that it was not found on either Oswald, or in his personal belongings.  Instead, we’re told it was found in the Depository, a week later.  As such, we are supposed to believe that Whaley was indeed mistaken.  Again, this is exactly what the lone nut supporters believe too, citing Bledsoe as their proof.  In fact, because she said that Oswald had on a brown shirt, and no jacket, this apparently meant that Baker, McWatters and Jones were mistaken as well.

How were they mistaken?  Well, because Oswald’s brown shirt was presumably unkempt, it just gave the illusion of being a jacket; it was, in reality, a shirt.  By unkempt, I mean not tucked in.

Of course, and besides the fact that everyone except Baker would have to have been color blind as well, the only lone nut believer who will cite this, is the lone nut believer who hasn’t read her testimony.  If they’ve read her testimony, they’d know she was asked this specific question, and that she specifically said yes, it was tucked in.  It was tucked in so well, that she was able to see his belt 24.

I find it hard to believe that anyone could confuse a tucked in shirt, for a jacket.  Particularly, since we’re talking about four different people, at three different times.

Whaley identified CE 163 as the (dark) blue jacket Oswald was wearing.

To continue the scientificness of this cab ride: If it lasted five and a half minutes, then that would put it arriving at Neely and North Beckley at 12:56 pm, and 50 seconds.

The length of time it would have taken Oswald to then walk back to his rooming house, and reach the front door of 1026 North Beckley, was five minutes, fifty-five seconds, at a normal but steady pace, putting his arrival time at 1:02 pm, and forty-five seconds, if indeed he was the lone assassin.  He would then stay all of four minutes, before leaving again at 1:06 pm, and forty-five seconds.

Earlene Roberts, who took care of the rooming house where Oswald stayed, said that he wasn’t wearing a jacket when he got home.  However, she also said she wasn’t paying much attention to him either, and never could say for sure what he was, or was not wearing.

As he left the house, Roberts said that Oswald had on a dark colored jacket 26.

After Oswald got home, and before he left, Roberts said a police car pulled up in front of the house, and honked its horn 27.  There’s been doubt about this since day one, but in less than a week, FBI 28, and Secret Service reports were both making mention of it.


In closing, if Oswald was the lone assassin, then the time that he reached his rooming house was most likely later than the time mentioned.  Both because of how slow he approached the cab, and because of how long it took the cab to then leave the bus station.

It’s also a bit hard to believe that Whaley went months telling authorities that he dropped him off at the 500 block of North Beckley, only to then turn around, at the last minute, and say different.  Then again, his first day of WC testimony was literally peppered with references to Neches and North Beckley (as to where he dropped him off).

What’s significant about this is that Neches wasn’t at the 700 block of North Beckley.  It wasn’t at the 500 block either.  Even more so, it didn’t even intersect with North Beckley!  So it’s possible that Whaley meant Neely Street, not Neches.

To that end, however, and since CE 371 was supposed to be marked with an X (as to where Whaley dropped him off), I checked to see where the X was marked, only to not see it.

I know before the map was marked, it was noted by Whaley as to just how small it was 29, but I’ve got a Dallas city map of my own, from 1962, and it’s no smaller than any other city map I’ve ever seen.  So either my copy of CE 371 is of poor quality, or the commission chose to shrink CE 371 down to the point that the X is virtually indiscernible.

Some may not see my vexation, so here it is.  If Whaley put a mark by what was actually Neely Street, then that’s fine.  If he put a mark by 7th Street, then that’s the 500 block of North Beckley.

It’s really too bad Oswald is no longer with us.  He could tell us where he was let out.

Getting on a City Bus

Elm to Greyhound Bus Station a b&w.jpg
The Shooting of Police Officer J.D. Tippit